Re: read this and puke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: read this and puke
Date
Re: read this and puke  ("Jeff MacDonald" <jeff@tsunamicreek.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> RDBMSs are like VCRs in that it is better to use a system a lot of
> others use, because then you can get stuff (like DBAs) easily.  It is
> a major PITA to hire a PostgreSQL DBA these days.  Everyone and his
> brother knows about MySQL (well, or claims he does!), but competent
> PostgreSQL people are thin on the ground.  And that's a real cost for
> a company considering using PostgreSQL.
>
> Hmm.  Maybe there's room for some sort of certification programme?

This is already being worked on by PgSQL, Inc ... we have been working
with several colleges/universities towards running courses in the fall
revolving around PgSQL, and are developing a textbook for said course ...

As for 'hiring a PgSQL DBA', our clients have been bringing us in to
provide onsite training to their current DBAs in order to be prepared to
convert from Oracle->PgSQL ... most feel it is more cost-effective to
bring their current staff up to speed then to bring in someone to handle
just that aspect ...