Re: Cooperation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ISHIKAWA Toshiyuki
Subject Re: Cooperation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dann Corbit wrote:

> I apologize for my English language message.  I am unable to speak
> Japanese.  We do have a native Japanese speaker here, who could be
> called upon if necessary.

There is no need to aplogize writing an e-mail in English.
It's global standards, but some portion is a bit difficult
to understand. Anyhow, we must firstly express our thanks
for your interest in our project, though we are facing also
hard obstacles as listed on the Web site.
> The PostgreSQL team is planning to do a native Win32 port.  Perhaps you
> would like to help with the effort.  In that way, your changes will get
> propagated back up the source code tree and you can gain the benefits
> from future development efforts without performing any work.

It is nice to hear that the PostgreSQL development team has also working
on this subject. Will you please illustrate the procedure more clearly how
to we contribute our effort to your project. The last four words in the
above clause mean that once we supply you with the changed source, then
everything afterwords could be handled by the team? How the copy right
will be dealt with?

The development has been continued by the volunteer developers here,
however, we have to admit that businesses (companies) are also involved
to support those people providing time to work on the development,
not to commercialization purpose but expecting some return, e.g. earning
company's prestige. So, we have to regulate those backgrouds first based
upon your proposal. We are positive to help you with our effort anyway,
if things goes well.

> We did a port to Win32 also, but your approach seems much better.  We
> have very fat executables and you have a marvelous DLL approach.
> Probably, the way that you perform the operations is much better.

Thanks.

Toshi