Re: How much work is a native Windows application? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Subject Re: How much work is a native Windows application?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com wrote:
>>> I think, and I know people are probably sick of me spouting
>>> opinions, that if you want a Windows presence for PostgreSQL, then
>>> we should write a real Win32 version.
>>
>> The crucial wrong word is the word "we."

>> If _you_ want a Windows presence, then _you_ should write a real
>> Win32 version.  That clearly attaches responsibility to someone who
>> is interested.

> I have already said that I am willing to write the pieces for a
> Windows port.  The issue is changes in PostgreSQL required to do it.

No, I don't think you understand.

If you're planning to do a port, then _all_ changes are your
responsibility.  Nobody ought to need to change PostgreSQL in order for
you to write a Windows port; that, in fact, would be a waste of time,
having several people working on something that should probably be done
by one person.
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/x.html