Re: How much work is a native Windows application? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: How much work is a native Windows application?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le Mardi 7 Mai 2002 20:32, mlw a écrit :
> Since RedHat owns cygwin and they want RedHat database to be a success,
> maybe they can make an exception to the GNU license for PostgreSQL.

Cygwin received contributions from several authors. To leave a GNU licence,
you need to get the agreement of all authors, which is not possible for a big
project like Cygwin.

Alternatively, you could pick-up the old static version of Cygwin and release
it as a minimal Cygwin dll. This idea is probably ***stupid***.

Another possible solution is http://debian-cygwin.sourceforge.net/ project,
which tries to port dpkg to Windows. If it was possible to release Cygwin
using dpkg, we could create a comprehensive Cygwin + PostgreSQL on-line
installer.

Why look for complicated solutions when the only real issue for users is the
Cygwin installer?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE