Re: How much work is a native Windows application? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: How much work is a native Windows application?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 14:02, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Mardi 7 Mai 2002 20:32, mlw a écrit :
> > Since RedHat owns cygwin and they want RedHat database to be a success,
> > maybe they can make an exception to the GNU license for PostgreSQL.
>
> Cygwin received contributions from several authors. To leave a GNU licence,
> you need to get the agreement of all authors, which is not possible for a big
> project like Cygwin.
>
> Alternatively, you could pick-up the old static version of Cygwin and release
> it as a minimal Cygwin dll. This idea is probably ***stupid***.
>
> Another possible solution is http://debian-cygwin.sourceforge.net/ project,
> which tries to port dpkg to Windows. If it was possible to release Cygwin
> using dpkg, we could create a comprehensive Cygwin + PostgreSQL on-line
> installer.
>
> Why look for complicated solutions when the only real issue for users is the
> Cygwin installer?

IIRC the initial issue was bad performance, which was attributed to
win32/cygwin fork() behaviour.

That was long before this thread started.

BTW, does anyone know how other real databases (Oracle, DB2,
Interbase/Firebird, Infomix) do it on Windows.

Hannu