Re: Documentation on page files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Documentation on page files
Date
Re: Documentation on page files  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 03:46:07PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
> > > 2. If not, would patches be accepted to correct the situation?
> >
> > Go for it.
>
> Yes, please! I'd be happy to review and updated version.

Ok, my first attempt can be seen here:

http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/page.sgml.txt

I don't know whatever SGML format this is using, so the layout is not great,
but the information should be accurate. I used it to create a program to
dump the datafiles directly without the postmaster :).

I'll submit a proper patch once we have something useful.

> One thing that would be good, since this is a developers' guide,
> would be to include references to the source files and dates from
> which the information comes. That way one could see if updates are
> necessary by doing a diff on those files between the given date
> and the head, to see what changes have been made since the description
> was written. Also good would be to have the data structures explicitly
> named so that when one dives into the source, one already has a
> good idea of what one's looking at.

Well, I have included the names of the structures involved. Do you think
it's worth adding filenames given that TAGS makes tracking them down easily
enough? I can put in dates if you like.

Issues to be dealt with:
- Do I need to say more about TOAST?
- Split into sections