Re: PostgreSQL the right choice? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: PostgreSQL the right choice?
Date
List pgsql-general
Le Mercredi 13 Mars 2002 07:55, Richard Chrenko a écrit :
> MySQL looks like it's free until you want to bundle it with a commercial
> application, at which time license fees are required. What is the
> situation with PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is completely free for commercial and non-commercial use. pgAdmin2
(http://pgadmin.postgresql.org), PostgreSQL Windows administration interface
is completely free.

> Given that we have a Java application and don't have the manpower to
> port a DBMS, what are the platforms on which PostgreSQL is currently
> stable?

PostgreSQL is the most stable Open-source database available.

> Is it possible to deploy PostgreSQL via an installer program, then
> automatically run a script to generate the tables and populate them with
> data from flat files?

Linux : PostgreSQL 7.2can be deployed via RPM (see PostgreSQL FTP in
/binaries).
Windows : PostgreSQL 7.2 is included in Cygwin installer
(http://www.cygwin.com).

An interactive doc is available from http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE