Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts
Date
Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts  (Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org>)
Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-patches
Paul Eggert wrote:
> > From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> > Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:05:17 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > This is an interesting patch, but have not heard anyone else have this
> > problem
>
> That's not surprising, since I am purposely running a bleeding-edge
> system to test PostgreSQL portability.  Nobody is shipping POSIX
> 1003.1-2001 systems yet (the standard was only approved in December by
> the IEEE, and it will not be an official ISO standard for a few more
> weeks yet).  But when they do, you will run into this problem.
>

> > and am hesitant to add more cost to fix something that may not be
> > broken.  Sorry.
>
> There is no cost to PostgreSQL in normal operation, since that part of
> the source isn't affected at all.  All that is affected is some of the
> test scripts and documentation.  I see little risk to incorporating
> the patch, but of course it's your decision.

We are kind of picky about adding complexity when it isn't required.