Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Paul Eggert
Subject Re: support for POSIX 1003.1-2001 hosts
Date
List pgsql-patches
> From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:05:17 -0500 (EST)
>
> This is an interesting patch, but have not heard anyone else have this
> problem

That's not surprising, since I am purposely running a bleeding-edge
system to test PostgreSQL portability.  Nobody is shipping POSIX
1003.1-2001 systems yet (the standard was only approved in December by
the IEEE, and it will not be an official ISO standard for a few more
weeks yet).  But when they do, you will run into this problem.

> and am hesitant to add more cost to fix something that may not be
> broken.  Sorry.

There is no cost to PostgreSQL in normal operation, since that part of
the source isn't affected at all.  All that is affected is some of the
test scripts and documentation.  I see little risk to incorporating
the patch, but of course it's your decision.