Re: Status of index location patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Status of index location patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Buttafuoco wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I stopped all work on this since people seemed confused about the
> tablespace/location words.   I don't think enough of the "core" team likes
> this idea.  Am I wrong here?  Did I explain the patch good enough?
>
> Please let me know,  I still am planning on doing it for internal use.  I
> would prefer that it was a standard feature.  If you think I should still
> pursue this, let me know what I need to do to get it off the ground.

I think ideally we need to work in the direction outlined in the TODO
list link for tablespaces.  We clearly need this functionality, but I
think there is a perception we need to do it right the first time.  I
don't see your work as that far away from where we want to be so I
encourage you to read the link next to tablespaces and see what parts
you like and what parts you don't.

The usual steps are to outline the functionality you want to add, then
we can discuss implementation.  It is a feature we very badly need.

Pennsylvania19026