Re: More time zones - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: More time zones
Date
Timezone Inconsistancies  ("Arguile" <arguile@lucentstudios.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > This is related to the Australian timezone duplication where we have a
> > GUC parameter.  Could we generalize the GUC stuff to allow arbitrary
> > timezone mappings?  Just an idea.  Not sure it is worth it.  The
> > Australians complained but I have not hear complaints from other
> > countries.
>
> I don't recall that "the Australians complained". Did their consulate
> call you? ;)
>
> What was the issue? Was the previous compile-time behavior preferable to
> some?

No, the Australians complained about the compile-time flag, and were
very happy when it became a GUC parameter.  I only mentioned to say that
conflicting timezone issues are obviously a problem for some, and we did
resolve it with GUC.

> In any case, we do have to understand how to support areas which have
> conflicting definitions for character time zones, so if there are
> problems we need to be specific or be satisfied with the result.

Yes, Australia is the only group to have complained, and I think they
are happy with GUC.

Pennsylvania19026