Re: Idea for making COPY data Microsoft-proof - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brent Verner
Subject Re: Idea for making COPY data Microsoft-proof
Date
List pgsql-hackers
[2002-02-11 11:11] Tom Lane said:
| Philip Warner <pjw@rhyme.com.au> writes:
| > Can you do something akin to what you did with the binary output - but in
| > this case allow for no details.
|
| This strikes me as solving an entirely different issue -- with great
| loss of backwards compatibility.  Possibly these are good ideas, but for
| the moment I'd like to keep this thread focused on the issue of coping
| with newline translations.
|
| (In any case, I thought someone was already working on an optional
| column-name-list clause for COPY, which would solve that problem in what
| seems a cleaner fashion.)

Yes, the work for a column list in COPY FROM is largely done.  I've
not been able to work on COPY TO, tho.

Part #1 of your original proposal is certainly the right thing to do.

I've backgrounded this problem for most of the day, and although I
know it's a severe change, your "stronger" solution seems like a
better change than the part #2, which just feels like something
that would only be undone later.  Both #2 and the "stronger" way
will require a SET option for absolute correctness; why not require
that SETting more often than not for any old-format dumps?  Yes, it
will affect a larger number of users, but we net a better dump
format for that pain.

cheers. brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman