Re: Installing postgresql on Win2K - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Albertson
Subject Re: Installing postgresql on Win2K
Date
List pgsql-general
I just did that a month or so ago.  Just as an exercise.
I run Postgresql on Solaris but did get it working under Win 2K
and cygwin.

There is nothing special about installing under cygwin.
just follow the standard insructions found in the tar file.
OK, I did have to solve some small problems but post specific
questions for each problem you run into.  People here tend
to respond to specific questions and ignor the general ones.

THe real question is "Why?"  Why use Win 2K?  I am a big Linux
fan but have to admit that Solaris may make a better server.
I'm runing Solaris/GNU (/usr/local/bin is first in my path)
I'd recomend this or Linus or BSD over Win 2K unless you
have a good reason.

--- Troy.Campano@LibertyMutual.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I want to set up a development PostgreSQL database on my local
> Windows 2000
> machine.
>

> From what I understand I need to use cygwin.
>

> Other than that I'm totally lost at where to start.
>

> Do I use the same postgresql-7.1.3.tar.gz source file I use on Linux,
> but
> somehow use cygwin to compile/install it on Windows?
>

> Is there an article anywhere on how to do this?
>

> Thank you!
>

> Troy Campano

=====
Chris Albertson