Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: contrib/postgis spatial extensions
Date
List pgsql-patches
> [ why is this thread hiding in -patches?  It should be on -hackers or
>   -general, methinks. ]

> > Let me suggest a solution.  What if we took the part of the GIS code
> > that duplicated our existing code (geometric types) and replaced what we
> > had in the core distribution with the GIS version.
>
> This is a complete nonstarter unless the GIS guys are willing to accept
> BSD licensing of that part of their code; which I doubt given Paul's
> prior comments.

I talked to him on the phone today, and he was interested.  My basic
reasoning was that if they don't want a commerical GIS developed on
PostgreSQL, their best defense is to get involved with the core code,
and make their GPL implementation in /contrib so popular that it doesn't
make any sense for a company to make one.