Re: Good software takes 10 years - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent R. Matzelle
Subject Re: Good software takes 10 years
Date
List pgsql-general
--- Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> > > Nice article about good software taking ten years to
> develop.  I think
> > > PostgreSQL can be classed at 15 years now, and it is being
> developed at
> > > Internet speed too:
> > >     http://www.joelonsoftware.com/stories/storyReader$368
> >
> > I think the slashdot discussion is more interesting than the
> original
> > article:
> >
> > http://slashdot.org/developers/01/07/19/0145222.shtml
> >
> > In particular, the slashdotters observe that there's more
> than one
> > kind of software.  For big projects, ten years seems about
> right...
>
> I am never sure if posting info about appropriate articles is
> ok for
> this list.

I believe that the article reinforces the idea that PostgreSQL
is a maturing product but also a product that will require years
of development before it starts running out of truly useful new
features and fixes.  If you find other articles that also help
advocate the further development of the PostgreSQL code and
community then by all means post it to the list.  That's my two
cents.

Regards,

Brent