Re: Configuration of statistical views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Configuration of statistical views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> >     So I can see value in a per database default  in  pg_database
> >     plus the ability to switch it on/off via statement to analyze
> >     single commands.
>
> Do you even need a per-database default?  Why not an installation-wide
> default in postgresql.conf plus on/off commands?  The great advantage
> of doing it that way is that it's simply a GUC variable or three, and
> you don't need to expend any work on developing infrastructure.  So
> I'd recommend doing it that way to get started, even if you later decide
> that something more complex is warranted.
   Personally,  I  can  live  with  no options at all, because I   think that amount of performance loss is worth it
beeingable   to look at a query in case. You know, if it's a config option   it tends to allways being off when the
errorshappen.

Jan