Re: More Red Hat information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric G. Miller
Subject Re: More Red Hat information
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 07:41:29AM -0700, David Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> > >$2225 ???? Are they *kidding*???
> >
> > If they really deliver, i.e. you get reasonable phone+email support
> > from people who can actually _do_something_ instead of giving you the
> > runaround (phoned M$ tech support lately with a _real_ bug report?
> > *), it's cheap as dirt as databases go.
>
> M$ is a good example, as their database is quite capable, and costs only a
> few hundred bucks (last time I looked). If RedHat DB is three times the
> price, IME many PHBs will go with SQL Server, instead, just because it's
> cheaper, and they know the Microsoft name (and FUD).

Try about $5000 for about 30 people.  They're now doing a per cpu
pricing thing, so it depends how many users and/or how many cpu's (I
think for per-user licensing stops at 20 or 25, then you must switch to
the per cpu licensing).  Unless you were talking about Access?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>