Re: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 12:58:15PM +0200, Pedro Abelleira Seco wrote:
> With Java too. Well, you need Java (instead of PHP).
> Java is not free and PHP is. I know there are people
> for who this can be a problem. In my original post I

I do not care that much about the freeness of java, but be aware that due to
the lack thereof the newer java releases are not available on all platforms.

I for one do not really like Java, because I have yet so Java developed
program to run stable and fast on my machine.

> 1.- Have a tool for the administration of Postgres,
> totally capable and integrated with the server.
>
> In particular this means not to have to
> download­compile hot-test a miriad of utilities, which
> can have diferent dependencies and support for
> versions of server or libs... Yes, a competent

BTW how about adding some other tools that are available to the PostgreSQL
tree? The very same problem you have with all these tools will happen with
your tool unless you develop it as part of the PostgreSQL distribution. So
maybe we shoul try to merge in other tools too.

> I'm yet impressed in how much difficult can be for
> some people editing a config file. The world out the
> University is very weird. And the corporative world
> is, well, interesting.

Don't get me wrong, we really need that GUI so even the user we call DAU
(dümmster anzunehmender User = silliest user imaginable) can operate it
somehow. I'm all for your project. My problem is just that we need this tool
now or even better two days ago.

Maybe this sounds bitter, but I recently did a search for a groupware tool
to use in my company and also for a customer. We decided to go web based to
be independent of the OS. And of course we wanted open source. So I scanned
through sourceforge just to find at least a dozen such projects, but not
a single one finished enough to fill all our needs.

While as a open source software developer I can understand why people set up
different projects, as a user I think this is a terrible waste of resources.

I hope you now understand what I meant to say.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De