Re: inserting, index and no index - speed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From zilch@home.se
Subject Re: inserting, index and no index - speed
Date
Re: inserting, index and no index - speed  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
The test script that set up the tables is the following:

---

/* Cleanup */

DROP SEQUENCE index_with_id_seq;
DROP SEQUENCE index_without_id_seq;

DROP INDEX name_index;

DROP TABLE index_with;
DROP TABLE index_without;

/* Create a table with an index */

CREATE TABLE index_with (

 id SERIAL,
 name TEXT

);

CREATE INDEX name_index ON index_with(name);

/* Create a table without an index */

CREATE TABLE index_without (

  id SERIAL,
  name TEXT

);

---

This is run just before it is tested,
then I have this little C++ program that inserts N rows into the tables, and
meassures how long it takes.

A DELETE * FROM table (both tables) followed by a VACCUUM is also run
before each test run (which consists of regular INSERT statements).

Do I do anything wrong?

The postmaster (7.1.2) is run with then current Debian testing/unstable
standard options.

Daniel Akerud