Re: template1, can there be a template2/3/4? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Mercer
Subject Re: template1, can there be a template2/3/4?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 12:13:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > it would be a method for getting around the fact that a user in template1
> > has access to all of the other databases, modulo per-database permissions
> > via GRANT/REVOKE
>
> Which database you are connected to has nothing whatever to do with
> whether you can see/manipulate other databases.  template1 is certainly
> not special in that regard.  The only reason createdb and friends
> connect to template1 is that it's the only DB name they can be pretty
> certain exists.

ah, so users/groups are not stored in template1, but in some other series
of physical files.

hmmm.  yep, that certainly does squash my idea.

i imagine it would be architectually difficult to have seperate user/group
tables per database.

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim@reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]