Re: Why can't I do this (setup question) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Tomblin
Subject Re: Why can't I do this (setup question)
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us):
> Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com> writes:
> > Is there a postmaster log other than what's in /var/log/messages?
>
> Yes, the postmaster's stderr output.  What is your startup script doing
> with that?

I'm using the one that comes with the 7.1 RPM, (from Lamar Owen) which
redirects stderr to /dev/null.

        su -l postgres -c "LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster start >/dev/null 2>&1" <
/dev/null

I guess I should stop that from happening and see what messages come out.
I'll report back.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
In 1665 Issac Newton became discouraged when he fell up a flight of