Re: Re: Which Front End for Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Damaen
Subject Re: Re: Which Front End for Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <989996977.1109.0.camel@tonux>, "Tony Grant"
<tony@animaproductions.com> wrote:

> Funny thing is that SGI have rpms for RedHat XFS install... XFS is a
> server file system is it not?

I believe the XFS you are speaking of is the X Font Server. Not a file
system. Redhat does use ext2, though I have heard good and bad about
ext3.

> RedHat can be made into a server OS it just takes some work. Read the
> excellent http://www.linuxdoc.org/links/p_books.html#securing_linux

I can't say as I agree... I've setup several servers on RH, for different
purposes of course, but none of them too more than, I'd say 2 hours for
the partitionaing, OS install, and configure of base servers, everything.
As far as securing it, I simply use a decent firewall (modified v. of
rc.firewall) and portsentry. That's all.

> I would personnaly choose FreeBSD for the PostgreSQL server and RedHat
> as the client workstation.

I so far have not had much luck with FreeBSD, it has fought with me all
the way. Consequently, I don't have a BSD box running right now.  The
only complaint I really have with it, since every OS has it's little
quirks, is that it does not seem to be quite up to date with hardware.

Scream and yell... yeah I know it's way off topic.