Re: Internet is putting lot of competition fire & heat under Microsoft SQL Server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Roberto Mello
Subject Re: Internet is putting lot of competition fire & heat under Microsoft SQL Server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 07:19:01AM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> > Everybody is asking "What is the equivalent of Linux in SQL databases
> > ??"
> > The answer is "PostgreSQL" RDBMS server.
>
> Oh please.  Can we stop trying to tie everything to the current front
> runner.  I mean, PostgreSQL uses the BSD style license, development

    It uses _the_ BSD license.

> is done under the BSD (cathedral) model and hey, it was invented at
> Berkeley in the first place.  How is it the "equivalent of Linux"
> other than that it has the same price tag more or less.

    I'm not defending the comparison/analogy, just saying that it makes
sense to lay people who have heard of "Linux" when they are explained
about PostgreSQL.

    -Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+