Re: a primer on trigger? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From newsreader@mediaone.net
Subject Re: a primer on trigger?
Date
Re: a primer on trigger?  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 09:16:12AM -0700, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> I believe you can make syscalls if you
> write a trigger in C (rather than one
> of the procedural languages).
>
> However (and it's a big one), you should
> only ever consider modifying something outside
> of the database from a trigger if it's
> something that is absolutely safe to do
> if the transaction rolls back.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will
investigate further along the line of writing
the trigger in C.  But at this point I
am leaning towards sticking to my current
routine which has worked flawlessly
for many months.  The reason I need
some 'trigger' is it's a huge mess
to maintain when it does come to the
time to maintain.  Right now I'm moving this scheme
to a different set of hardware and it's
quite a nightmare to juggle so many programs
at once while keeping everything running.

It _is_ quite trivial to write a safe perl
trigger especially because I control both client
and server end of postgres.  With C it
will be whole new game for me.