Call for platforms (Solaris) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mathijs Brands
Subject Call for platforms (Solaris)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi

I've been running RC3 regression tests, starting with a FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE
and a Solaris 7 Sparc box. Both tests ran without any problems. I tried
Solaris 8 Sparc next: it still suffered from the same unix socket problems.
I had a look at the code and it seems to me that the use of unix sockets
in RC3 is still enabled, even though it (appearently) doesn't work reliably
on Solaris.

Since it was rather strange that RC3 did work correctly on Solaris 7 but
not 8, I also ran regression tests on another Solaris 7 and another 8 box,
with the same results. Since I still didn't trust it, I also ran RC1 again
on both Solaris 7 and 8; same result. And now things start getting weird.
A little more than a week ago the RC1 regression tests ran with on average
10-15 tests randomly failing. Now, however, I can run the regression several
times without any test failing. But if I run the regression test enough
times (4-6 times), I do have tests that fail (about 2-5). The configuration
of these servers hasn't changed in the last months and I used the same RC1
source and binaries.

Can somebody confirm whether pgsql Solaris does or does not work correctly
out-of-the-box? Disabling unix sockets will probably fix all these problems,
so I'm naturally wondering whether unix socket will or will not be disabled
in pgsql 7.1...

Regards,

Mathijs

Ps. Vince, could you remove test results 46 and 47? I don't trust them
anymore.
--
"A book is a fragile creature.  It suffers the wear of time,it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands."
UmbertoEco