Re: Ok, why isn't it using *this* index? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Tomblin
Subject Re: Ok, why isn't it using *this* index?
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us):
> Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com> writes:
> > Ok, so if I understand you correctly, the fact that about 90% of the
> > records have country='USA' and about 9% of the records have
> > country='CANADA' means that it's never going to use the index because it
> > on average, a query is going to be for USA, and a sequential scan is going
> > to be better.
>
> effectively with data distributions like this one.  But in any case,
> most of the respondents in this thread have been assuming that you
> were running a reasonably current Postgres.  Try upgrading ...

Does anybody know if the RPM that comes with RedHat 7.0 will work with
RedHat 6.2?  I've just upgraded my workstation machine to RedHat 7.0, and
I want to wait a bit before upgrading my server as well.  (If only because
lpr suddenly stopped working with the last "update" from RedHat.)

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
"American 999, Heathrow Approach.  Descend and maintain 4,000 feet, QNH 1011."