Re: ssl connections with psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From newsreader@mediaone.net
Subject Re: ssl connections with psql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 05:58:42PM +0100, Christian Marschalek wrote:
> Hi !
>
> > Yes.
>
> May I ask what the difference between apache compiled with ssl and
> postgresql with ssl is? if there's any...

very easy question that even i can answer.

apache is a web server

postgresql is database server

got it??

ssl is general software layer which lives between some
user level applications and os.  you can make almost all
of your run of the mills tcp/ip applications ssl aware.

apache and postgresql being one of those run of the mills
applications they learn how to speak ssl language.

ssl is generally associated with web servers/browsers
because netscape invented it.  whether it's good or
bad i'm not sure.  i dislike the way netscape marketed
it itself using scare tactics.. nowadays people consider
ssl panacea for network security and i'm sick of getting
clueless client wanting ssl pages for their applications who
don't realize all the risks involved.  it's almost always
like buying $10,000 alarm system and leaving the window
open when you left your house.  necessity is the source
of inventions, they say.  but i often wonder..