Re: Re: WAL and commit_delay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Re: WAL and commit_delay
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Adriaan Joubert <a.joubert@albourne.com> writes:
> > fdatasync() is available on Tru64 and according to the man-page behaves
> > as Tom expects. So it should be a win for us.
>
> Careful ... HPUX's man page also claims that fdatasync does something
> useful, but it doesn't.  I'd recommend an experiment.  Does today's
> snapshot run any faster for you (without -F) than before?
   IIRC  your  HPUX manpage states that fdatasync() updates only   required information to find back the data. It
soundedto  me   that  HPUX  distinguishes between irrelevant inode info (like   modtime) and important things (like
blocks).
   But maybe I'm confused by HP and they can still tell me an  X   for an U.

Jan