Re: is PG able to handle a >500 GB Database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Florent Guillaume
Subject Re: is PG able to handle a >500 GB Database?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Unless your application logic tries to use OIDs as row identifiers,
> duplicate OIDs in user tables are not a problem.

Hmmm, that means that the following, which I use, is not strictly correct :

create table t1 (recordid SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, val INT4, name TEXT);
... much later ...
insert into t1 (val, name) values (3465, 'blah');
-- PHP application gets $lastoid for this insert
select recordid from t1 where oid = $lastoid;
-- PHP application now hast the recordid that was created.

Because the last select could return several lines.

What would be the correct idiom ? Explicitly use nextval ? That pretty
defeats the point of SERIAL, no ?

Florent