Re: timestamp update field across multiple tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: timestamp update field across multiple tables
Date
List pgsql-general
Rajit Singh wrote:
  >I have five tables which are really intended to be one big table, but has be
      >en adapted to comply with Postgres's (irritating) 8kb tuple size limit (
      >ver 7.0.3).
  >
  >I have 'modtime' fields in each of these tables which record the last time a
      > record was updated.  But I would like the behaviour to be such that a m
      >odtime field in each of these associated tables is updated when any of t
      >he tables are updated.  And I would like all of the modtime fields to ta
      >ke the same value if possible.

If the rows in these five tables are meant to be all one, why have five
separate modtime fields?  That breaks the "rules" against redundant data.
Just have it in one table and put triggers to set it in all five.

     "For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and
      his truth endureth to all generations."
                                     Psalms 100:5