Re: RE: RE: Re: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Haberlach
Subject Re: RE: RE: Re: MySQL and PostgreSQL speed compare
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 04:20:53PM -0800, Eric Mueller wrote:
> I'm happy to contribute once I feel like I've got something to offer, which
> I won't know until I have the lay of the land, and that's the problem. As a
> long-time coder picking up postgresql for the first time, I'm baffled by
> what seems to be a lack of detailed documentation for something so
> fundamental as the built-in functions. Do the docs for the functions even
> exist? Are they in the dist but not published on the web site? Zen-like
> riddles and causes-in-need-of-aid aside, any hints to the answer for such a
> basic question would help me get started with what seems like a very
> powerful tool.

    From the aforementioned "Big Integrated Document" at

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html

    5. Functions
        SQL Functions
        Mathematical Functions
        String Functions
        .
        .
        .

    As has been said, it seems that you need big flashing red letters before
you will acknowledge documentation.  If you are going to use postgres, good,
more power to you.  If you want to use MySQL, go right ahead.  If all you are
going to do is hang around here complaining, I'd rather you take it somewhere
else.

--
Adam Haberlach            |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam@newsnipple.com       |deep, passionate, and profound desire for