Re: CRCs (was: beta testing version) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Guenter
Subject Re: CRCs (was: beta testing version)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:25:41PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:
> That requires an extra out-of-sequence write.

Ayup!

> Generally, there are no guarantees, only reasonable expectations.

I would differ, but that's irrelevant.

> A 64-bit CRC would give sufficient confidence...

This is part of what I was getting at, in a roundabout way.  If you use
a CRC, hash, or any other kind of non-trivial check code, you have a
certain level of confidence in the data, but not a guarantee.  If you
decide, based on your expert opinions, that a 32 or 64 bit CRC or hash
gives you an adequate level of confidence in the event of a crash, then
I'll be satisfied, but don't call it a guarantee.

Them's small nits we're picking at, though.
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/