insertion times .. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anand Raman
Subject insertion times ..
Date
List pgsql-general
hi guys

I am trying to create a search facility for our site using udm search..
While reading about udm search along with postgresql i cam across this
line in one of the mailing list archived mails.

> I don't know what kind of queries are executed during the indexing, if
> the insertions don't need indexes you could try to drop the index and
> recreate them when the indexing is done.

THIS SHOULD SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE INDEXING TIME.

Is it true that creating indexes after the insertion has been done takes
more time..
If so why ..

Thanx
Anand