Re: [GENERAL] Re: My new job - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: My new job
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > After careful consideration, I have decided to accept a job with Great
> > Bridge.
>
> Whatever happened to this:
>
> Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 15:19:48 -0400
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> To: Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu>
> Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Steering committee responce to Great Bridge LLC
>
> : One thing we have agreed to is that there must not be an unseemly fraction
> : of core members working for the same company.  With six people on core,
> : probably about two working at the same company would be a reasonable
> : limit.

    Been in Poland for a week, so pardon for the delay.

    Initially  it  was (if I recall correct) Vadim's and my idea.
    The main reason behind it  wasn't  to  avoid  influence  from
    commercial   entities  into  core.  We've  all  been  working
    together for years as a group with great honour and trusting,
    so  the  aims of all core members where never questioned.  We
    just decided this "fraction" to avoid  any  hireing  to  look
    like a takeover.

    This  world  is  spinning a little fast at the moment. Let me
    repeat what I said to a person I met  last  week  in  Poland,
    during  a  PosrgreSQL  conference  in  Wierzba. We have a BSD
    license and now I know a good reason why we kept it  all  the
    time.  With  that  license  in  place,  there's absolutely no
    reason to panic right now. Nothing can be taken away, and  if
    things go wrong in the future, those left in the "OpenSource"
    corner can start from our last official release  again  -  be
    sure  I'll be somewhere in that corner, even if it might take
    some time before I can surface again. And I'm sure I'll  meet
    all those I loved to work with together in that corner again.

    Never underestimate the power of Open Source.

Jan