Re: [GENERAL] Re: My new job - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: My new job
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Re: My new job  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 04:10:48PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We were talking about this today down here at Great Bridge, and I
> mentioned that there is very little that happens in the core group.  Up
> until Great Bridge arrived, and we had to secretly communicate with
> them, there really wasn't much going on in core.  Occasionally they will
> get upset with me about accepting too many patches, but other than that,
> months go by with nothing happening in core at all.
>
> So, I am really saying that core doesn't do much.  You non-core folks
> aren't missing anything.

Yeah, that's what you say in public ... There is no cabal!

Seriously though, we're talking about perceptions. The once or twice over
the last two years I've noticed sign of out-of-band decision making, it's
usually been a mention of IRC or a phone call. No great shakes, just if
someone's already (irrationally) upset about their 'great' design idea not
getting in, and it's not clear why, but something happened in person (or
via IRC or phone or core) ... I'd rather _not_ see the slashdot thread.

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.