Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job
Date
List pgsql-general
As a long time (and mostly silent) PostgreSQL user, I
would like to say that I agree with Alfred.  The more
time core members can spend working on PostgreSQL the
better, and if you can finagle it so that you get paid
actual money for doing it, then more power to you.
You certainly deserve it.

Working on an open source project is drastically
different then working on a closed source one.  The
source is out there, and it can be forked if all of
you decide to sell your souls to the devil.  Remember,
you yourselves didn't start the work on PostgreSQL,
and you have put a lot of work into documenting what
you have done.  A fork would probably easier for the
next batch of hackers than it was for you.  Not only
that, but if your employer pushes you to do something
to PostgreSQL that you don't agree with you can always
walk away and start your own PostgreSQL based company.
  If PostgreSQL was a closed-source project your
employer would own your work, but it isn't, and they
don't, so why worry?

Great Bridge and PostgreSQL Inc. can't buy your souls,
and they can't steal your work.  All they can do is
feed your families and help you sell PostgreSQL to the
world.  Great Bridge and PostgreSQL Inc. aren't even
paying for your code (they could get that for free),
they are paying for your expertise.  Like the rest of
your users they realize that your talents are worth
investing in.

However, you might want to commit your changes to the
public CVS server a little more often :).

Thanks for the hard work,
Jason Earl