Re: pg_dump's over 2GB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Haberlach
Subject Re: pg_dump's over 2GB
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 12:15:26PM -0400, Bryan White wrote:
> My current backups made with pg_dump are currently 1.3GB.  I am wondering
> what kind of headaches I will have to deal with once they exceed 2GB.
>
> What will happen with pg_dump on a Linux 2.2.14 i386 kernel when the output
> exceeds 2GB?
> Currently the dump file is later fed to a 'tar cvfz'.  I am thinking that
> instead I will need to pipe pg_dumps output into gzip thus avoiding the
> creation of a file of that size.
>
> Does anyone have experince with this sort of thing?

    We have had some problems with tar silently truncated some > 2Gb files
during a backup.  We also had to move the perforce server from Linux to
BSD because some checkpoint files were truncating at 2Gb (not a perforce
problem, but a Linux one).

    Be careful, test frequently, etc...

--
Adam Haberlach            | A billion hours ago, human life appeared on
adam@newsnipple.com       | earth.  A billion minutes ago, Christianity