Re: pgdump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: pgdump
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:04:15AM -0700, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 09:15:32AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > if I do a database dump via pg_dump also PostgreSQL internal tables
> > named pga_* are stored in the dump.  However if I drop a database and
>
> pga_* are not really internal tables. The internal tables are named pg_*.
> pga_* are tables created by pgaccess.
>
> > create it via "create database <name>" those tables are created
> > automatically.  Restoring the old content of the database using
>
> What version are you using? On my 7.0.2 (actual Debian package, so I guess
> you are using the same) they are definitely not created autiomatically.

I'd guess that Andreas must have looked at the template1 database with
pgaccess.  That would create the pga_* tables in there, which would then
propagate to all newly crreated dbs. Pgaccess makes these files behind
the users back.  It might be reasonable for it _not_ to create them in
template1, if possible, without prompting the user, at least. I'll ask
Constantin about it.

The workaround is to go into template1 with psql and drop the pga_*
tables, then never use pgaccess to look in there.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer