Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL & the BSD License
Date
List pgsql-general
> The more I think on this, the less I'm sure that we *should* be changing
> anything though ... why hasn't FreeBSD (a primarily US based, BSD
> licensed, Open Source Project) changed it?  Has NetBSD?  OpenBSD?  Why is
> it good enough for them, and all of their commercial clients and
> affiliates, but not good enough for us?  Actually, just took a look at the
> COPYRIGHT that comes with FreeBSD ... shit, wait a second ... didn't the
> BSD COPYRIGHT just *have* a change? ... <insert explicitive here> ...
>
> Ya, there was a recent change, that can be seen at:
> ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change ... but, if
> you look at the FreeBSD COPYRIGHT in /usr/src, I'm guessing that we've
> never kept up with *any* of the changes to the BSD COPYRIGHT ... we just
> used the one that came with Postgres95 originally and assumed that
> Berkeley never changed it ...

I totally agree with Marc on this.  The GB-suggested change would:

    1)  Add confusion by making yet another license
    2)  Add protection we may not even need
    3)  Be very US-centric
    4)  Require obnoxious license approval

These are all major issues.  I think getting the most recent BSD license
wording is the way to go.