Re: [HACKERS] Revised Copyright: is this more palatable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Revised Copyright: is this more palatable?
Date
List pgsql-general
Philip Warner wrote:
> I do still own copyright, but I can't prevent people using it in a
> PG-derived project. But I *can* prevent them using it in software to run a
> meat-grinder, assuming that software is not recognizably a PG derived
> database (as perceived by a reasonable person). This could be relevant to
> Jan who wrote  compression code, although I suspect he's philosophically
> opposed to preventing his actual source code being used in, eg, "The New
> Fangled Microsoft Disk Compressor, using advanced Compression Technology
> (tm)".

    Especially   the   compression  code  was  only  coding.  The
    underlying algorithm (slightly modified) was taken from a 10+
    years   old   usenet  article  and  is  the  idea  of  Adisak
    Pochanayon.

    If anyone on earth can make money out of it, I don't  have  a
    problem  with  that.  This  includes M$ and any other company
    with bad reputation.  But if there's a bug in my code causing
    severe damage, I don't want to get sued for it. That's all.

Jan