Re: system usage stats (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL? ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: system usage stats (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL? )
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Mitch wrote:
> Ok, the production server is a Celeron 433, 512 MEgs of PC100 ECC RAM, 2 18
> Gig Ultra 160 SCSI drives (only running at 80 megs since we dono't have a
> 64-bit PCI slot).
>
> There is a big upgrade planned for this box when the motherboard we're
> waiting for comes out..
>
> The development server is a PII450, 128 Megs of RAM and Ultra 2 SCSI
> drives.. However it's running several other things other than the database
> and webserver so it has a small load.

So, 6.5.3 is running on Ultra 160 drives, with the controller throttled to
80 MB/s, and 7.0 is running on Ultra 2 drives, which also has a controller
maximum of 80 MB/s.  However, the sustained transfer speed of the drives
themselves are what should be limiting: if they're all relatively modern
drives, 20MB/s is typical, so neither config will max out the controller.
(2 drives each, right?)

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer