Re: perl5 interface won't compile - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Marc Lehmann
Subject Re: perl5 interface won't compile
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 11:49:09AM -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> compile against 5.005_03 --- without options --- and AFAICT that is
> still considered the current stable release of Perl.  I'm pretty

5.6 is out ;) Wether that is considered stable is another question, of
course ;)

> > using
> >    perl Makefile.PL POLLUTE=1
> > which will enable some kind of compatibility mode.
>
> Interesting.  I could not find anything about POLLUTE at www.perl.com.
> What does it do, and will it cause problems on pre-5.005 perls?

Apart from warnings it should work. What is does it to enable commonly used
symbols to eb available under the old names, i.e. sv_undef instead of
PL_sv_undef, thereby "polluting" your namespace.

I have no diea where it is documentd ;)

> This looks like it could be the Right Thing To Do.  Anyone have time to
> make it happen (and perhaps even access to a few different perl versions

I don't, but that module is basiclly a header file. Just rename it to
somethign else (e.g. pgppport.h) and _run_ it against the interface files:

       perl -x pgppport.h *.c *.h *.xs foo/*.c [etc]

It will tell you about most things that need to be fixed.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|