Rép. : Re: Alter table syntax - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erwan DUROSELLE
Subject Rép. : Re: Alter table syntax
Date
List pgsql-general
Try:
alter table <tablename> add constraint <whatevername> check ( <fieldname> is not null )

Erwan

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:38:33PM -0700, Garo Hussenjian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone remind me how to make a column 'not null' after it is created?

ALTER TABLE ... ADD NOT NULL
But I think this is a 7.3 addition (i.e. not released yet).

If you don't have that, you can try looking up it's pg_attribute tuple
(it was shown here in the last week how to do so, AFAIR) and set to true
its attnotnull.

Be warned that incorrectly modifying system catalogs can lead to massive
data loss!  Are you scared already?  If so, take all needed precautions
and go ahead.  If you don't, start imagining people yelling at you
because of a lost database and start again.

"La espina, desde que nace, ya pincha" (Proverbio africano)