renice on an I/O bound box - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Willy-Bas Loos
Subject renice on an I/O bound box
Date
Re: renice on an I/O bound box  (Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing@tweakers.net>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I have a query that runs for about 16 hours, it should run at least weekly.
There are also clients connecting via a website, we don't want to keep them waiting because of long DSS queries.

We use Debian Lenny.
I've noticed that renicing the process really lowers the load (in "top"), though i think we are I/O bound. Does that make any sense?

Cheers,

WBL
--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw