Re: comparing NEW and OLD (any good this way?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willy-Bas Loos
Subject Re: comparing NEW and OLD (any good this way?)
Date
List pgsql-general
>  SELECT r IS NULL, r IS NOT NULL
>  FROM (VALUES (1,NULL)) r(a,b);
>
> returns FALSE for *both* columns.  How can a row be both NULL *and*
> non-NULL?

Actually, the value is neither NULL, nor non-NULL.
Part of it is NULL and part of it isn't so neither "IS NULL" is true,
nor is "IS NOT NULL"

cheers,
WBL

http://www.postgres.cz/index.php/PostgreSQL_SQL_Tricks#Attention_on_IS_NULL_and_IS_NOT_NULL_operators_for_composite_types