Re: Recovery Test Framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Guillaume Smet
Subject Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> However, we are getting off onto a tangent.  I wasn't trying to start
> a discussion about general project policies, but about the specific
> status of this particular group of patches.

I concur with Gregory on this one.

IM(Very)HO, it's really too late in the cycle to commit these features
(ie sync rep and hot standby). They are supposed to guarantee high
availability and data security and they must be rock solid. Having
them commited just before the release seems to me like a very
dangerous way to publish them.

A lot of users are waiting for these features so they really should be
usable and rock solid before they get released to the public. One more
year without them is perhaps better than causing problems on critical
databases.

Apart from the features themselves, what people expect the most (at
least the ones I met) is a replication feature which is simple to set
up and integrated. A polished "user interface" is probably what is the
most important from the user point of view (correctness and stability
are a minimum). That's what is going to make a difference with what
already existed (for the users I know).

I'm just handwaving but I think there's probably need for at least one
more month to get these patches reviewed and ready to commit
(considering there are very few people able to review them and to fix
problem in this set of patches).

Note that I don't question the quality of the patches, just that there
will be very little time to test the final code commited before the
release.

--
Guillaume