Re: [PERFORM] More cores or higer frequency ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sven R. Kunze
Subject Re: [PERFORM] More cores or higer frequency ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 23.05.2017 22:14, Jarek wrote:
> I have pool of clients (~30) inserting to database about 50 records per
> second (in total from all clients) and small numer (<10) clients
> querying database for those records once per 10s.
> Other queries are rare and irregular.
> The biggest table has ~ 100mln records (older records are purged
> nightly). Database size is ~13GB.
> I near future I'm expecting ~150 clients and 250 inserts per second and
> more clients querying database.
> Server is handling also apache with simple web application written in
> python.
> For the same price, I can get 8C/3.2GHz or 14C/2.6GHz. Which one will be
> better ?

Hi Jarek,

in case of your increasing parallel requirements (more clients, more
inserts), I would tend to the 14C setup. However, as usual take this
with a grain of salt. My word is not a guarantee for success in this case.

Best would be to setup a test scenario where you can simulate with both
hardware setups.

Regards,
Sven