Re: [PERFORM] More cores or higer frequency ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jarek
Subject Re: [PERFORM] More cores or higer frequency ?
Date
Re: [PERFORM] More cores or higer frequency ?
List pgsql-performance
Dnia 2017-05-23, wto o godzinie 11:39 -0700, Steve Crawford pisze:
> The answer, as always, is "it depends."
>

> Can you give us an overview of your setup? The appropriate setup for
> small numbers of long-running analytical queries (typically faster
> CPUs) will be different than a setup for handling numerous
> simultaneous connections (typically more cores).

I have pool of clients (~30) inserting to database about 50 records per
second (in total from all clients) and small numer (<10) clients
querying database for those records once per 10s.
Other queries are rare and irregular.
The biggest table has ~ 100mln records (older records are purged
nightly). Database size is ~13GB.
I near future I'm expecting ~150 clients and 250 inserts per second and
more clients querying database.
Server is handling also apache with simple web application written in
python.
For the same price, I can get 8C/3.2GHz or 14C/2.6GHz. Which one will be
better ?