Re: The case for version number inflation - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: The case for version number inflation
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Feb 27, 2013, at 7:14 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 02/27/2013 02:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Further, many projects which used to use "regular" version numbers --
>> such as Firefox -- have now embraced inflationary version numbers.  So,
>> maybe it's time to just use the first digit.  The next version would be
>> 10.0, and the version in 2014 would be 11.0.
>>
>> As a counterargument, few other open source databases use inflationary
>> version numbers, even the NoSQL ones.
>
> Why not....
>
> 13
>
> Where it is the 2013 release.... We might end up jumping releases (maybe there isn't a 14 release) but then it keeps
itsimple.

Actually, the interesting point on that is that it would be similar to how the Ubuntu team handles its releases (e.g.
12.10= release in Oct 2012) - and of course, people are (or at least should be) very careful about OS updates.

Jonathan