RE: [HACKERS] distinct. Is this the correct behaviour? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ansley, Michael
Subject RE: [HACKERS] distinct. Is this the correct behaviour?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Afternoon, all

I just tried this on Oracle, and it wouldn't accept the query.  It seems
that once you mention DISTINCT, it won't expand the target list.  The actual
message was:

SQL> select distinct x from mikea_test order by y;
select distinct x from mikea_test order by y                                          *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01791: not a SELECTed expression

So, there we have it.  I think this is probably the best solution, because
it means that when you do something where the result is not what you would
expect, it forces you to do it another way.

MikeA